Wednesday 17 November 2010

Living Medicine - Alex Laird's Workshop

Medicinal Foods for Energy and Weight Loss Handout
Addes 24th November 2010...
This is my Greek Salad inspired Alex meal. 

It is a mixture of grains cooked as before, roast vegetables, fresh tomatoes and feta in a warm oregano, cider vinegar and olive oil  dressing.


Added 22nd November 2010...Ok Lottie and I have a new favourite Alex adapted recipe...
Now this might not look amazing but in the photo but this was the yummiest supper we've had in ages. So good it required a high-five between the chefs. It is our grainy mixure a la Alex, grilled mushroom with rosemary and butter, and Pipers Farm steak in homemade sticky sauce (3tbsp sunflower oil, 2tbsp soya sauce, 1tbsp Dijon mustard and 2 tbsp honey). Bit of a treat but so so good. We both had our special breakfast (see below) and Lottie was sure she wasn't as hungry when lunchtime arrived and thought it would be a good idea if she had some of the oatmeal mix after school sprinkled on her chocolate cake. I suggested it might be better in yoghurt and she agreed.

Added 21st Novemeber 2010...Well Alex has caused quite a stir with her workshops. I bumped into one course attendee on the way back from buying my ingredients and she had put what she learnt into practice with her whole family, I know Emma is trying things out because I see her progress on Facebook, Andi has written comments below and so it must have had a positive impact on her and I am well and truely on the way to eating better. What we are all amazed by is that a short session with Alex who taught us three simple recipes could have such an impact so quickly. I have found a breakfast that not only to I really enjoy but it is fun to make and it's doing me good. I have frozen raspberries in the freezer and I warm them in the microwave, spoon on organic plain yoghurt and then put 4 spoonfuls of my 'Alex mix' on the top. I don't have those mid-morning sugar cravings any more.




The salad and grain recipe are so simple and easily adaptable. I have put all my grains and pulses into jars so I pick and mix which makes it good fun and when Lottie (my little one) and I make dinner tonight it will be fun for her too as she can do the choosing. The grains are put into a pan with sliced root ginger, herbs (I love rosemary), garlic (unpealed), peppercorns and water and boiled gently until cooked. Then you use that as your staple. On Friday I mixed mine with tinned mackeral, Alex's beetroot salad, rocket and covered in dressing as an emergency supper after a long drive then yesterday I had it with sausages, sweet chilli sauce and left over roast vegetables. Tonight we are going to have it with thai curry paste and yoghurt. I am not sure what Alex would make of the mixing and additions but I will await her feedback.


I wasn't so keen on the seaweed and I have a lothing of bananas but I think that's ok. The point is that I am now eating fabulous things that make me feel so much better, they taste better than what I was eating before and they are wonderfully cheap to buy! The other bonus is that I have a store cupboard of things now to make a delicious instant supper with. I am always late home to an empty fridge but now I can always knock something up. Clever Alex and smug Joey. If this isn't very well explained and you would like to know more, email me. We can cook together at the cafe and I can do my best to show you what Alex showed us at her workshop. Or go to http://www.livingmedicine.org/ click on 'news and events' and then go to 'Foods for Energy and Weight Loss' and look at the notes.


This afternoon and tonight's course were excellent and I will tell you all about it at the weekend as it is too late in the evening to make any real sense and I am of to a conference for the next two days but I have put a link to the handout above and photos below.














2 comments:

  1. A very enjoyable afternoon. Excellent talk and demonstration.Very informative and lots of tips. The food looked good and tasted even better.I would love more of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex Laird and Helen Kearney are going to work together to bring us more Living Medicine events. We will put all events on the calendar on our blog and in the cafe. So there is lots to look forward to.
    Joey

    ReplyDelete